Sunday, December 9, 2012

Free




Mid-day, as the sun is high above,
When things should be obvious,
I am ever and always standing in a fog
On the narrowest of bridges, less than
The width of my foot and over an expanding
Canyon I am sure  there, where I’ve come from,
There are triumphant steps made certainly,
But also vast numbers of stumbles saved by the hooks
I’ve accepted in my heart when seemingly
No other way remained for standing. See how
They hold me up on this careful crossing? Later
I realized how slowly I have to move to
Keep the pain
Minimized as the illusion of safety nets
Reach up to whip me into line
On the tight, tight rope
While I dream of emancipation on the
Other side of this abyss even as Freedom
Emerges from the fog on a banner of promise
Suspended somehow, and leading me to
Believe that hope lies
Not on the other end of this bridge
But in the grace of letting
Hooks rip out as I fall into me.

2012 © Amanda Morris Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment